Prenatal Yoga - Getting Started

Posted by Elaine Monday

I love teaching prenatal yoga, either privately or in a group with other pregnant women. Or sometimes I am graced by the presence of a pregnant woman in one of my general classes, that is a gift. But that 's the time that I wish I could spend more time, coaching and instructing. Some teachers will ask the student to refer to the Sandra Jordan book when the rest of the class is doing something that just wouldn't work for this student. Sometimes sadly it's just hard to give enough attention in a group setting to someone who can really use it.

Yoga is a wonderful way to prepare oneself for becoming pregnant and of course for preparing for childbirth and labor. How great it is to develop self awareness and focus. And to learn to develop a sense of calmness. Yoga will help you to strengthen the physical body, to mindfully develop awareness of parts of you that are off, out of alignment, tight. And of course, yoga helps you to gradually open areas of you that often get tight during pregnancy and after the baby is born, the shoulders, the neck, calves, legs, hips, etc. It teaches you mindfulness and self care. I so enjoy seeing the look of calm in my pregnant students and their sense of grace and confidence.

I've found that the quintessential reference for the pregnant woman who wants to do yoga is Sandra Jordan's book, Yoga for Pregnancy. The book identifies poses that are appropriate for the three trimesters and the illustrations are excellent. I recommend this book for students and teachers. I have to add that I would not include "Squatting Pose to Wall" until the last week of the pregnancy or if past the due date. My teacher Jeff Logan, c0-owner of Body and Soul in Huntington, LI, has emphasized that to me and I pass on his wise teachings to my students.

When does a student start prenatal yoga? If a person has been practicing yoga already, why not continue? However if one becomes breathless, dizzy or if it feels like you are forcing it, then rest. I usually recommend if a person is new to yoga she should check with her doctor or midwife first.

What poses are appropriate? Backbends are out, and most twists. Of course malasana (squatting) as I said earlier is not to be done to the end. Using the wall in standing poses is great.
Eventually chairs can be used so as not to put undue pressure on the groin.

Just a note, there are other books that are very good to consult as well. Two I consult often are:
The Woman's Book of Yoga & Health, by Linda Sparrowe, with yoga sequences by
Patricia Walden

Yoga, A Gem for Women by Geeta S. Iyengar

If you do yoga during your pregnancy have fun, work mindfully and take this special time to work lovingly and compassionately.

Namaste
I honor the light within you

Elaine

0 comments

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Email Elaine

Email Elaine
she'd love to hear from you

Followers